Review: Algenist Triple-Action Micropolish & Peel

/ Monday, May 27, 2013 /
Algenist - Triple-Action Micropolish & Peel
Photo source
FTC: I am not compensated for this review. I received a sample of it from Sephora during an order.


I got a very nice, hefty sample of this quite interesting product recently during a Sephora order. A very interesting product, I must say, a chemical peel. Now, while most people would think extreme from the words chemical peel, I don't know so much.

A chemical peel is used to desquamate (note: layman term = exfoliate) the skin - literally peel back the layers - in order to reveal newer, smoother skin underneath. It is used by people to soften the skin and give a younger apperance, in essence, an anti-aging agent. This is often done using alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs). Similarly, citric acid (think lemon juice mask) can be used in a similar method.

The caveat about chemical peels is that AHAs and BHAs make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Thus, one must wear sunscreen during the day for at least 1 week after application.

In the past, I haven't had much luck with chemical peels (e.g. the Kate Somerville peel really hurt my skin) so I've been pretty apprehensive about using these products. However, recently I had a weird bout of acne around the time of my alma mater's graduation ceremony, so I decided to go for this.

Ingredients (From Sephora):


-10% Alguronic Acid and Glycolic Acid: Dissolve the smaller skin-dulling cells and regenerate smoother, more even skin underneath. 
-10% Pumpkin and Pomegranate Fruit Enzymes: Support enzymatic epidermal dissolution. 
-Micro-Crystals: Lift off larger skin-dulling cells and buff rough skin to reveal a new, radiant skin surface. 
-Botanical Anti-Inflammatories: Minimize redness and irritation. 

Water, Glycerin, Glycolic Acid, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum Fruit Ferment Extract, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Algae Exopolysaccharides, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Algae Extract, Glucosamine HCL, Galactoarabinan, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Urea, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Extract, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Isostearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Magnesium Oxide, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Phenoxyethanol

I've had pretty good results with Algenist's sunscreen in SPF 50. I've also liked their alguronic acid formula, along with the fruit enzymes, which are used to desquamate the skin. The micro-crystals (aka beads) in the formula mechanically desquamate the skin and the anti-inflammatories are nice. The glycerin, jojoba oil, etc all help out with hydrating the skin without drying it out. The fragrance didn't seem too overpowering.

Pros:

  • Did not make my skin hurt
  • Great desquamation power
  • Made my skin feel super smooth afterward
  • Lightened my skin after 1 week of use
  • Did help clear up some acne
  • Scent not overpowering
Cons:
  • Price! $75 for 2 oz. That is absolutely ridiculous. Even my 0.1 fl oz sample goes for $3.75 by itself. And that's just a week's worth of use. Ridiculous.
Overall, I think this product is quite excellent for those who can afford it. I think it is a great product that can be used for acne, anti-aging purposes, and all-around skincare for the long-run. However, for those who are on a budget, I believe that I've achieved similar results with simple lemon juice-cucumber juice face masks. Thus, there are much cheaper alternatives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger