The Sunscreen Project, Part 18

/ Saturday, December 22, 2012 /
Algenist - Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50
Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid,
 SPF 50

As you guys and gals probably already know, I've been searching for a super great, affordable sunscreen.

I've already gone through 14 sunscreens/moisturizers with SPF/eye creams with SPF!

Well, I'm still looking. And looking.

Anyway, enough with the tirade. This sunscreen was recommended by a saleslady at Sephora. She gave me several very hefty samples to try of it. According to her, this product, Algenist's ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50, was "the best sunscreen in the entire store." Wow. That's quite a statement.

I decided to try it, based on her word. And she did give me a lot of samples - I was able to use them for 2 weeks, and still have some left.

Wow.

Ingredients:

Octinoxate, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Alcohol Denat, Glycerin, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl, Dimethicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Algae Exopolysaccharides, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Fragrance.

According to the Sephora website, this product has the following special ingredients:


-Alguronic Acid: Increases cell regeneration and elastin synthesis. 
-Vitamin E and Green Tea: Contain antioxidants that protect the skin against signs of aging, and help minimize fine lines and wrinkles. 
-Bearberry and Licorice Root Extracts: Contain antioxidants that help protect the skin against sun damage, and boost skin radiance and luminosity. 


Well, what did I think of it?

Pros:

  • Really is a good sunscreen
  • Protects against UVA and UVB rays
  • has ZnO2 and TiO2
  • Also has all of those cool extracts and alguronic acid
  • Doesn't make me break out
  • Is very sheer - covers well, and doesn't feel too emollient or sticky
  • Dries quickly
  • Doesn't feel heavy on my skin
  • Didn't make me break out
Cons:
  • Denatured alcohol may be bad for sensitive skin types
  • Price: $38 for 1 oz


I think this is probably one of the most expensive sunscreens I've ever used. I think ultimately, if one had enough $$, this would be an awesome investment. This product has come quite close to being an optimal sunscreen, but the price is too hefty. So sadly I will not be investing in this one. However, for those who have $$, or wish to invest in a good sunscreen, I highly recommend it.

Past posts:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger