The Sunscreen Project, Part 5

/ Sunday, April 15, 2012 /
Coppertone Sport Sunscreen SPF 30, Ultra Sweatproof/Waterproof ($9 for 8 fl oz, drugstore.com)


This sunscreen is the fifth sunscreen I have tried during my series of sunscreen testings. As I have written in previous posts, I am currently looking for a good sunscreen to stick to, and so my dermatologist gave me a bunch to test. This one is not one of the ones she gave me, but I still got it because Target was trying to clear out its stock. I bought a 1 oz tube for 48 cents! How cool is that?

This is the actual stick:


This packaging states that it is SPF 30, and is "sweatproof". Now, according to the FDA's new regulations for sunscreens, after this summer, no sunscreens can be labeled as "sweatproof" or "waterproof" anymore, so I think that Target (as well as other stores) are trying to get rid of their old stocks of sunscreen so that they can make room for the new ones.

The packaging states that the sunscreen is "Oil free; hypoallergenic; waterproof; PABA-free".  However, no sunscreen is allowed to be called waterproof, as eventually they will wear off through sweating and exercise, as well as breakdown of the ingredients. The packaging also states that it provides "broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection" and that it "won't burn your eyes/sting".

The ingredients for this product are:

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (10%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2%), Oxybenzone (4%). Inactive Ingredients: Alcohol Denat. (75.3% V/V), Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Stearoxytrimethylsilane, Glycerin, Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Fragrance, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride.


I personally like these active ingredients because avobenzone is present, and also present in the highest percentage allowed by US regulations. As I have stated in previous reviews. avobenzone is the only ingredient that explicitly covers the entire spectrum of UVA rays. I'm also very happy that there are very high concentrations of homosalate, octisalate, octocrylene, and oxybenzone, which help cover UVB rays as well.

When I put it on, however, I don't know if I could truly say it was very comfortable. Like many other sunscreens, it was a white liquidish-substance that was spread onto the skin. It definitely did not smell that strong and was not that stick as was earlier sunscreens I had tried, like the Vanicream SPF 30. However, it was still a bit greasy, more greasy than the Solbar Avo SPF 32. I actually put it all over my body with two layers because I was going outside for a long time. The two layers took pretty long to dry (~30 min) but I think it would take a much shorter time period (~15 min) for one layer.

I think this sunscreen worked pretty well. I was in the sun for ~5 hours, and in the middle I only reapplied 2X afterwards. I did not get sunburned, or even tanned, and normally I tan pretty easily.

Afterwards, when I was washing it off in the shower, it did take awhile to peel off. I had to use my fingernails to scrape it off, as well as my DIY asprin toner for heavy exfoliation. However, it was not as bad as the Vanicream, and also I think it took a long time to scrape off because I had all of those layers on.

Pros: Good UVA/UVB protection, good price, pretty long-lasting, effective protection
Cons: Slightly oily/greasy, takes awhile to remove if many layers are applied

Overall, what do I think of it? I think this is pretty effective, especially if you are going to be outside a lot. However, I would rather go for something less greasy.

Source: 1 / 2

Past posts:
Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: Vanicream SPF 30
Part 3: Solbar Avo SPF 32
Part 4: Pur~lisse Essential Daily Moisturizer SPF 30

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger