The Sunscreen Project, Part 2

/ Tuesday, March 20, 2012 /
Vanicream Sunscreen, Sensitive Skin, SPF 30, 4-Ounce, 

Vanicream Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin, SPF 30

This is the first sunscreen I will review during my Sunscreen Project (for the first post, click here). I received a bunch of samples from my dermatologist to try out, and to find out the sunscreen that best helps me.
The packaging states that this sunscreen is "free of dyes, lanolin, fragrance, masking fragrance, parabens, and formaldehyde". Sure enough, the ingredients do not list any of these things.

When I first got this, I squeezed out a generous amount and applied it all over my arms, neck, legs, hands, etc. I did not apply it on my face, as I have a facial moisturizer with SPF to use instead.

Pros:
-The SPF is high enough, SPF 30 (above the bare minimum of 15)
-The sunscreen is basically scentless, does not have any smells, and did not make my super-sensitive skin break out at all.
-It has titanium oxide and zinc oxide as active ingredients, which are great at blocking UVB rays.

Cons:
-The packaging says that it DOES protect against both UVA and UVB rays, but truthfully, the only active ingredient that is there to protect the skin from the entire UVA spectrum is avobenzone, which is not present in the product.
-It is EXTREMELY greasy. After applying, it took at least 25 min for it to absorb into my skin. It was almost impossible to get off. I had to use my loofah to scrub my skin extremely intensely several times. The routine I used to get the stuff off was:
(1) Using my loofah with my body wash 2X
(2) Using my loofah with my Clean & Clear Morning Burst Cleanser (I decided to use something that usually washes oil off of my face completely)
(3) Using my Noxema Facial Scrub 1% Salicylic acid (I thought the scrubbing action of the exfoliator would help)
(4) Using the aspirin grinds from my aspirin toner as a very severe scrubbing agent
(5) Scraping and scratching my skin with my bare nails to peel off the stuff.

Yeah, I know. It took me, in total, 40 min to get the stuff off of my skin. 40 minute shower. Ugh!

Overall, what do I think of the product? Well, the truth is, I didn't really like it. It definitely did live up to its purported purpose of being good for sensitive skin, but it does not protect against UVA rays, and it is super hard to get off. I felt so disgusting after putting it on; I absolutely just wanted to get it off of me. It was gross.

This retails for $12.25 for 4 oz on Amazon.com.

Would I purchase the full-size version of this product? Heck no! Would I recommend it for anyone? Probably only if you need a product that is greasy enough to stay on just about forever. Like, if you were going into the rainforest for an expedition or something. Other than that, no.

Stay tuned for more reviews of other sunscreens!

Source: 1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger