The Sunscreen Project Part 26: Miracle Skin Transformer SPF 20 (Medium Tan)

/ Thursday, May 23, 2013 /
Miracle Skin Transformer - Miracle Skin™ Transformer SPF 20
Photo source
FTC: I received a sample of this product from Sephora. I am not compensated for this review.


Just as an aside... why am I doing so many sunscreen reviews recently? Well, the thing is that summer is here (or will be right around the corner for those who live in higher latitudes). I would like everyone to be informed of as many sunscreen options as possible and their ups/downs. Also, I'm trying to find new products that have either just come out or have new reformulations. Thus, here we go!

After having pretty good results with EltaMD's tinted moisturizer in SPF 40, I decided to go to Sephora to find a similar product. A very nice sales lady gave me a sample of this to try after matching my skin color to Medium Tan. (BTW, I am an NC 30).

Thus, I decided to go for it.

Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5.0%, Oxybenzone 2.0%, Zinc Oxide 1.5%. Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Methicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Water/Eau, Dicaprylyl Ether, Boron Nitride, Octyldodecanol, Passiflora Edulis Seed Oil, Glycerin, Dimethiconol, Ubiquinone, Tapioca Starch, Mica, Physalis Angulata Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 80, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Potassium Sorbate, Hydrated Silica, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Silica, Isoceteth-10, Retinyl Palmitate, Benzyl Alcohol, Phytonadione, Cholecalciferol, Tocopherol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

Here are some comments about the ingredients themselves:

  • This is a combo, hybrid organic-inorganic sunscreen with octinoxate, octisalate, oxybenzone, and zinc oxide.
  • Some people may not like oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate due to effects I've discussed previous in this article.
  • There are a lot of silicone-based ingredients in this, making for very smooth skin.
And, thus, I put it on.

Here's what I found:

Pros:
  • Very silky feeling
  • Mixed organic-inorganic sunscreen
  • Did not break me out
  • Did not dry out my skin
  • No white cast
Cons:
  • Made my skin have an orange-shade appearance (eww!)
  • Has oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate
  • Only SPF 20, not 30+ (like US FDA suggestions state)
  • Cost ($48 for 1.7 oz)
Final thoughts? I did like the fact that the product made my skin feel super silky and nice. However, I will not be purchasing a full-sized version due to the ingredients cons and especially because of the SPF factor. Price may also be an issue.

Still chugging along for sunscreens! Take care!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger