Review: Origins Plantscription Anti-Aging Serum w/ Anogeissus

/ Friday, May 10, 2013 /
Photo source
FTC: I received a sample of this product in the mail. I am not compensated for any reviews.

I received a sample of this product in the mail from Origins quite awhile ago. Didn't get a chance to try and use this product until now!

I've personally always been a bit wary of brands (including Origins) that promote "natural" products with "natural" ingredients. Truthfully, if one thinks about it, "natural" and "chemical" are very iffy-touchy terms because things, ultimately, are all made of chemicals. Just because something is natural doesn't necessarily mean it is good or great. Just because something is "artificial" doesn't mean it has horrible implications. For example, foxglove is a "natural" herb, but it can cause blurred vision, vomiting, diarrhea, delirium, or even death. On the other hand, vitamin C pills are often manufactured in factories and laboratories, but it doesn't mean they don't prevent scurvy and have other health benefits.

Anyway, that's my soapbox for the day ;)

Back to the review. According to the Origins website, this product is supposed to help reduce lines and wrinkles. (Aren't wrinkles lines anyway?)

I wasn't able to find an ingredients list anywhere (Sephora, Amazon, anywhere really) but it seems that the key ingredient is anogeissus, which is supposed to penetrate the skin deeply to stop the skin's enzymes from destroying the skin's building blocks which keeps the skin's elasticity.

From what I can remember from my med school classes and research, I believe this means that anogeissus somehow interferes with the breakdown system of collagen and perhaps works something with hyaluronic acid as well. Perhaps it prevents breakdown of scarring from type III to type I collagen overturn. Or something. Perhaps. I don't know.

Things are not very transparent here.

The key thing is, if anogeissus does do the things it is purported to do, the basic molecule must be less than 500 daltons in size (see the 500 Dalton Rule for skin penetration, on FutureDerm and the abstract of the publication that described this).

Anyway, point being, the product, when I tried it:


  • Perked up my undereye area
  • Worked well under my sunscreen
  • Had a citrus smell
  • Showed temporary results
Truthfully, this product retails at $75 for 1.7 oz on Sephora. It is extremely expensive. I don't think it's worth it to use this as a protective product. It is probably better to invest in a sunscreen rather than this, unless if someone has any money just to throw away. Also, there are other serums from other brands like FutureDerm and Dr. Hauschka that may work a lot better.

We'll see what happens!
Have a great night everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger