Review: Maybelline Colossal Waterproof Mascara

/ Thursday, June 14, 2012 /
Okay, so here's a long overdue post about the latest mascara I've tried, Maybelline's Colossal Waterproof Mascara in Classic Black.

 Source: 1

Sometime around February, I picked up this mascara from Walmart for about $7. Personally, I think it was a pretty good deal - especially because it was cheaper than what I would've gotten it for at CVS or Walgreens. I got the waterproof kind because I have super short, stick-straight eyelashes that need a lot of support and shaping. Somehow, the waterproof kind usually doesn't smear as much as the other kinds. This mascara was recommended to me by one of my readers awhile ago, but I didn't get a chance to purchase it until February.

I put this mascara on just about everyday for the next 4 months. Yes, I know, I should've thrown it out at the 3 month mark, but I had surgery and was super busy, so I didn't get a chance to go to the store to get a new one. I think I'll get a new one after I recover fully from the surgery, probably sometime in July or something, before med school starts.

Anyway, I would usually put this mascara in the morning during my morning routine, and then wear it for an entire day. In total, usually around 12 hours or so. During each use, I would use my ELF eyelash curler to curl my lashes for about 15 seconds, sometimes with a hair dryer, and then put on this mascara with full sweeps of the wand.

So, let me tell you the results.

First, I've got to say, that this mascara is pretty messy. When I mean messy, I mean when I first take the wand out of the container. There's a ton of extra mascara on the wand that clumps on, so you actually have to wipe the mascara wand on the inner part of the tube in order to prevent the extra mascara from piling up on your eyelashes and clumping them.



See what I mean?

When I put mascara onto my eyes, I usually coat my lashes one time, and one time ONLY. This is because I noticed that when I put on a second coat, the first coat would just clump off and come off of my lashes in bits and pieces. Pretty gross. So, thus, I just put on one coat.

Anyway, I noticed right away that this mascara did not give me as much length and volume as my Falsies Mascara did. However, it did give my lashes a bit of volume. It definitely did not elicit an allergic response, like Covergirl's LashBlast did. And it definitely was more effective than Almay's One Coat mascara.


Comparison of the Falsies and the Colossal

The Colossal's staying power, however, was pretty good. The mascara did not hold my curl as well as the Falsies did, but it still held the curl relatively well, at least compared to the other mascaras I've tried. And it did last me an entire 12 hours of use.

Removing the mascara, however, was a pain in the butt. I had to use excessive amounts of olive oil in order to get rid of it all, and it came out in clumps. Still, I think it was worth it. The staying power of the Colossal is definitely pretty good.

All in all, what do I think of this mascara? Well, I've got to say that this is probably my second favorite, after the Falsies. However, I don't think I will be repurchasing this mascara anytime in the near future; I'm still searching for my HG mascara.

What do you guys/gals think I should try next? I don't think I want to try the LashBlast series any time in the near future, and since I'm going to be going to med school soon, I'll need to get a mascara that is long-lasting and is relatively hypoallergenic. Any advice on what kind to get? Leave a comment!

<3

All mascaras I've tried:
1. Maybelline Colossal in Classic Black, Waterproof

2. Maybelline Falsies in Black Drama, Waterproof
3. Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara, Black, Waterproof
4. CoverGirl LashBlast Volume, Black, Waterproof
5. CoverGirl LashBlast Length, Black, Water-resistant
6. Estee Lauder MagnaScopic Maximum Volume, Black (not waterproof)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger