The Sunscreen Project, Part 34: Simple Protecting Light Moisturizer SPF 15

/ Thursday, August 15, 2013 /
Source
FTC: I am not paid for this review.
I obtained this product awhile ago from I-don't-remember-where. However, I will describe it. "Simple Skincare" is a brand that focuses on gentle skincare products. The price of the products is comparable to those of Neutrogena and other drugstore brands. This brand is sold at most drugstores I've been to, as well as Kroger, Target, Randall's, etc.

I decided on a whim to try this product, for it seemed quite innocent and natural. I decided to use it during my recent trip to Cali.

Ingredients: 

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (sunscreen), Ensulizole (sunscreen), Octisalate (sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Glycol Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Allantoin, Bisabolol, Glyceryl Stearate, Potassium Stearate, Carbomer, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Stearamide AMP, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Methylisothiazolinone

A cursory glance reveals that this product is a chemical sunscreen, aka one that uses chemical barriers (active ingredients that react with the skin to create a chemical barrier after application) rather than a physical barrier, such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.

Well, what did I think of this product?

Pros:

  • Blended in very well with my skin
  • Did not break me out
  • Felt light and moisturizing
  • Did not clog my pores
  • Did not feel sticky/cakey
  • Even though is a chemical sunscreen with avobenzone, which could be a potentially reactive ingredient, it is paired with octisalate for stabilization
  • Provides both UVA and UVB ray coverage
  • Decent price - $12 for 4.2 fl oz
Cons:
  • Low SPF - 15 is below the FDA suggestion of SPF 30
  • The avobenzone actually burned my face while I was in Cali, but that was probably because my skin was still adjusting to the relatively more arid environment, along with flight dehydration :(
Bottom line, this is a great sunscreen that I would recommend for people who live outside of the Sun Belt. I think it feels great, works very well, and is affordable. Living in the Sun Belt, however, I cannot use this product on a daily basis without worrying whether I have enough protection or not. Slathering on extra layers will not "add on" SPF value; it will simply be SPF 15.

Thus, onward with more sunscreens!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger