Work husbands/wives

/ Tuesday, May 17, 2011 /
There is a concept of different spouses...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/02/16/workspouse.relationship.at.work/index.html?hpt=C2

I think that this concept comes from the fact that we all have different roles in life. For example, while I am at the university, I am my friends' friend, my professors' student, my lab professor's undergraduate student and sometimes-lab tech, my TA and grad student's student and friend, my littles' mentor, my students' tutor, my comrades' classmate, etc etc etc. However, when I am at home, I am my sister's sister, my parents' daughter, my community's productive member, and so forth.

However, despite being officially "single" myself, I still have quite a few "husbands" in a sense, if I stretch the analogy from CNN a bit. Keep in mind that ALL of these relationships are STRICTLY platonic.

1) Work husband

http://www.queercents.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/work-spouse.jpg
This is during the summer, when I have an internship or something; I'll develop a close relationship with a male friend (this works with female friends as well), with whom I'll work with on projects and so forth.

2) Study husband

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/2157535554_e5b931817c.jpg
This will be a male friend who I study with in certain classes. I've actually had several "study husbands" for different classes in different disciplines (especially, of course, with the double major in two totally different fields). Although I usually don't gaze so intensely at my "study husband" unless I'm totally immersed in the topic we are studying...

3) Pre-med husband

http://www.christmas-is-everyday.com/prodimg/40274.jpg
Of course, there is the set of classes that is required for entrance into most medical schools. This is a set of classes that we all have to take. Finding a good study buddy for this might require some time, but trust me, if you find a good friend for this, it makes memorizing all of those chemicals, formulas, equations, and facts easier!

4) Friend husband
http://www.themedguru.com/files/new_11.jpg
Of course, this is the guy friend that you can always turn to for advice, who gives you a shoulder to cry on when you need it the most, who understands your feelings, who supports you and understands your needs. I know this sounds like a boyfriend, but there's a fine line: your relationship is platonic. Often times, this guy is someone you've grown up with all of your life and who you have come to love as a brother. I guess sometimes this can develop into a love relationship, but as of right now, my "friend husband" is still my "friend husband", and I hope it will stay that way.

5) Home husband
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/088/7/2/asian_couple_by_Ale4325.jpg
Of course, there is the concept of the "home husband", the man you are actually married to. I have not found this man (of course!) but I hope to find him within the next 10 years :)

So yeah, that's my take on different "spouse" roles that have taken place. I guess there is a parallel for different platonic "wives" as well for men. What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger