Skin oils study break

/ Friday, August 31, 2012 /
20120831_130510 
(Finished salad = lettuce + grilled chicken salad + sunflower seeds + feta cheese + balsamic vinagrette dressing)

Right now I am sitting in a Starbucks, sipping my Venti Cinnamon Latte and taking a study break. We have a practice anatomy practical (basically, where you identify structures that are pinned on the study structures and radiographs (e.g. x-ray scans).

I came across an article about the use of cleansing oils. Futurederm is a website/company founded by Nikki Zevola, and focuses on the scientific aspects and practical applications for skincare. None of that stuff that just pervades the web; instead, based on scientific articles from PubMed and the like.

I'm not going to repeat what was written in the article, but in summary (quoted from her article), here is what was talked about:



  • "Those with dry skin will not benefit much, if at all, from oils like almond, apricot, avocado, castor, and olive.  These oils are occlusive agents that trap existing moisture into the skin.  But if you don’t have much moisture in your skin to begin with, these won’t help much.
  • Those with dry skin are better suited to oils like palm, coconut, pequi, and argan.  These oils contain fatty acids with more medium-to-long chain hydrocarbons.  As a result, they function as emollients, which increase the amount of moisture skin is capable of holding while binding to water and oils within the skin.  Keep in mind, however, that applying too much of these oils makes them solely occlusive – so you’re just trapping moisture in, not allowing your skin to add any, even with its increased capacity to hold moisture.
  • Never mix your own skin care oil products at home.  The risk for comedogenicity and irritation is simply too high.
  • Apply oils immediately after showering.
  • If you have oily or acne-prone skin, skip oils altogether."
 Now, I understand that each person's skin type is different, and I am NOT a certified dermatologist. However, from personal experience, I have tried argan, olive, and coconut oil for both cleansing and moisturizing my face, and they have not worked for me. I use a 1:1 mixture of olive oil: witch hazel to remove  makeup, and I guess that is for cleansing, but I always wash my face with some kind of cleanser (e.g. Clearasil Oil-Free wash, Neutrogena Oil-Free acne wash, Dermalogica face wash, Cetaphil, Purpose, etc) afterward. Every time after I have used oil for cleansing/moisturizing my face, I just break out as a result. I have oily/acne-prone skin, so it makes sense that this would occur for me.

However, recently, I have started using coconut oil (note: extra virgin, organic) in lieu of a body lotion. Previously, I used Aveeno lotion, but I decided to try coconut oil after reading about its potential benefits. So far, it's worked out pretty well - giving similar effects to Aveeno, but at a fraction of the cost. (A little oil goes a long way, guys and gals!)

I will have to use the oil for awhile more before reviewing it. However, I do know that the salicylic acid cleansers that I have used for face washes have been more successful at clearing up my face than any oil I've tried.

Lemme know what you think! Have you ever tried using oils for cleansing? How did they work otu for you? (Please include your skin type for reference) Thanks!

<3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

Labels

Search This Blog

Followers

 
Copyright © 2010 Vitamin C Goodness, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger